Getting Started?

• administrators

@gflvern Thank you for that screen shot. So it looks like the Iotas are pinging, but the signal strength is too weak to be registered by the app. If it was just 1 or 2 weak Iotas out of 5, I would think you have bad units, but I think for all 5 to be bad is unlikely. Do you have a case on your phone? Are you holding the phone from the top half? Either might block bluetooth signals. Could you try placing 1 or 2 Iotas right next to the phone, with no case, while it is flat on a table and take another screen shot? We are looking for signal strength at least -85 dBm or higher.

• @anuj_iota screen shot attached is with two next to the phone, whilst flat on table, case removed.

The iota app still doesn't find them even when they are right next to the phone.

Early screen shot was with all 5 iotas about 1m away.

0_1494710344995_IMG_9708.PNG

• Hi @kunal_iota just attached two screenshots showing my iota next to my phone with the same issue - do i need a replacement dot or is it down to my iPhone 5 running 10.3.1?!?

1_1494765143143_2017-05-14 13.22.06.jpg 0_1494765143141_2017-05-14 13.21.54.jpg

• @anuj_iota and @kunal_iota - I also downloaded the nRF connect app and placed the iotas right next to the phone. As you see in my screenshot the signal strength is above -85 dBm, but the iotas still don't appear in the iota app... Any further suggestions?
    0_1494849144196_IMG_7293[1].PNG

• Any update on this @anuj_iota, @kunal_iota, @grant_iota, at the moment I've got 5 iotas that are next to useless?!

• administrators

We are taking a look at it. It doesn't seem to be a dead dot issue, but rather something on the firmware end. Or that's our running theory.

• @kunal_iota thanks. Assuming they'll be a way to update the firmware without the app or will you need to push a new app version?

• administrators

@gflvern Yea, we're trying to come to a solution quickly. We'll update you when we have one. If not, worst case scenario, I can send you some replacements.

• administrators

Hi all, it seems that this issue could be related to not tapping accept on the notification permissions. Will be following up with you individually to ensure that this issue is corrected.

• administrators

@gflvern @Rosche @Andy @Z-engineer
    Thank you for reporting your bugs and for the screen shots. Thanks to your help, we've discovered an issue where if you do not allow the Iota Connect app to access location services when doing initial setup, the app will be unable to find any Iotas. The only way to fix this, at this time, is to delete the app and re-install it. Make sure to allow location services when the box pops up. iOS classifies bluetooth beacons as part of location services.

Please try this solution and see if your app can detect the Iotas.

• @anuj_iota great that does seem to have solved the problem, it's now finding the iotas. I'll set them up properly tonight.

Thanks.

• Hi @anuj_iota sorry to say but it's still not working for me. Removed the app and reloaded with location services and Bluetooth on, along with accepting the popup...but alas, still not working. Tried it a couple of times. Let me know if there is anything else I can try. I'm mainly an android user so can wait until the android app comes along

• administrators

@Andy I was more hopeful that it would work for the others since it was very unlikely they had 5/5 failures. Since you only have one, you might have received a "bad" unit. We are looking into this scenario right now and trying to reproduce the failure on our end, as well as speaking to the module manufacturer. Your report is going to be helpful going to them and describing the problem. If you can bear with us and hopefully answer any upcoming questions we have, we may be able to fix it for you.

• administrators

@Andy I believe I have the fix for you. Please follow the steps in the guide here in the FAQ, under the "Increase Transmit Power" section: http://community.doteverything.co/topic/66/the-app-doesn-t-detect-my-dots-during-initial-setup

• @anuj_iota do location services have to be always on for the iotas to work?

• administrators

@gflvern This can be definitively answered by @rishabh_iota, but yes, my understanding is that location services must always be on. This is only to detect the presence and range of Iotas using Bluetooth, we aren't using GPS or anything else.

• @anuj_iota thanks I'll try it out tomorrow night and let you know :)